Trip Highlights & Description
When you visit Whistler, besides just hiking, it’s great to visit some of the 2010 Winter Olympics venues as well. Winter sports are a big part of the Canadian outdoor culture so the winter games are part of it too.
From Whistler, it will take us less than half an hour of driving to arrive at the Whistler Olympic Park (WOP) in Callaghan Valley where our hike will begin.
A trail winding through and up a deep coastal rain forest will bring us to our first goal of the day, the adorable Hanging Lake. From here, it will take us only about 20min to reach a small pass above the lake. At this point we will enter large alpine meadows that lead to Rainbow Lake. But before we hike there it will be the right time to look back to marvel at the vast glaciers on the other side of the valley. Finding the perfect lunch spot wouldn’t be too difficult.
If we return to Whistler Olympic Park with enough time remaining, you may feel like an Olympian and shoot a real biathlon rifle at the Olympic Biathlon Range. (Additional fees apply, range closes at 4:15pm).
This is an approximate itinerary and might be adjusted based on your needs, mountain conditions and weather forecast.
- 9.15am: We meet in Whistler (or elsewhere)
- 10.15am: Our groups starts hiking
- 12.30-1.30pm: We enjoy the views and our lunch
- 3.30-4.00pm: Back to the WOP
- 5-6pm: We can either drop you off or join you for dinner
Packing List: What to Bring?
If you need to buy some of the required gear let us know and we will help you choose. Alternatively, we might be able to lend you some of it.
– Full or light hiking boots
– Small backpack that can carry all your items
– Waterproof rain jacket and pants
– Hiking pants (or shorts on warm days)
– Merino wool or synthetic sports t-shirt
– Warmer top layer (light fleece or insulation jacket)
– Hiking socks
– Water (1.5-3 liter bottle or bladder)
– Snacks (sandwiches, fruit, nuts, sport bars)
– Sun hat or cap
– Personal medications (if needed)
– Soft-shell jacket (lightweight breathable jacket)
– Spare dry shirt
– Knee braces (if needed)
– Phone / Camera
– Other personal items (but keep your pack light)
Not Included in the Price
This trip’s price does not included:
– Transportation for people not riding in our car (we can drive 4)
– Food & beverages on one day trips
– 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
– Your personal insurance
Emergency Insurance, Cancellations, Refunds…
Please visit this page for more details on what kind of emergency medical insurance we recommend you have for your trip and all other important information.